Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shenanigans at the MoMA. Typical.

Friday, July 9


After getting a surprise Facebook message from Emily Miller, we make plans to meet up today for a trip to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). She's in town for a few days looking at grad schools, and I'm so excited to see her! Slowly but surely, I am meeting up with old friends and new, creating my own little "tribe," as Diana calls it. Armed with a $25 Cold Stone gift card from graduation (Seriously!  How am I supposed to eat that much ice cream by myself?), I meet Emily in a shop midtown.  She goes for the berry sorbet, and I splurge on a Strawberry Blondie. :) Delicious.

We walk uptown to the MoMA which, thanks to the awesomenity of Target, is free to the public every Friday night from 4:00 to 8:00. Score.

This is my favorite. There is a huge room with this on the wall and a live microphone standing in the middle of the room for anyone to use. Yes. Love me some performance art.

Then we come across a series of portraits by Pablo Diego Jose Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Maria de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad Clito Ruiz y Picasso. Yeah. Picasso. Lots of pieces and details to that guy's name.  Kind of like his art.  LOVE the progression of this series.

Emily and I think Yayoi Kusama's "Violet Obsession" (1994) is fantastic.  It's a rowboat and oars covered with sewn and stuffed fabric.  I want to jump in, but I also don't want to get arrested.
But the highlight of the evening is, unquestionably, a wall of butts. Not even kidding. Thank you, Yoko Ono! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment