Sunday, July 18, 2010

Heatwave

Monday, July 5


Today, New York issues a heat advisory telling people to hydrate and stay indoors as much as possible.  I was originally hoping to hike Staten Island, but I opt out of that in favor of my A/C.  It's a good call.  By midday, the city is smoldering under full sun and 98-degree heat, and things aren't supposed to let up for another day or two.  


I bum around on Facebook and discover news about an Iranian woman and mother of two, Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, who faces death by stoning for false charges of adultery.  Outraged, I sign several online petitions and inundate my Facebook profile with her story, encouraging my friends to speak out, too.  (As of this writing, her story has reportedly earned enough international attention to save her from being stoned,  but she is still expected to be executed.)  


Please pray for justice for Sakineh and her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment