Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lemon basil deliciousness

Tuesday, July 6

It's time for another trip to Trader Joe's.  The store is crowded as usual.  I can't wait until the new store opens in Chelsea next week.  But the heat wave is still in full force, so I'm just happy to be in A/C for the day.

I stock up on more fresh fruits and veggies, plus some yummy mango salsa and the makings of what promises to be a delicious pizza margherita, Buenos Aires style. :)  After finding a fabulous online recipe for lemon basil sorbet, I pick up a big bag of lemons.  What's summer without a little pucker? :)  It makes me think of all the times as I kid that I tried to start a lemonade stand.  I was never much of an entrepreneur.  Sorry, Dad. ;)


At home, I jump into my sorbet making adventure.  Here's the recipe:



Ingredients:
1 cup half-and-half or light cream 
2/3 cup granulated sugar 
2 tablespoons honey 
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest 
8 fresh basil leaves, divided 
2 cups whole milk 
Juice of 3 lemons, chilled 
Pinches fine sea salt

Directions:
In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the half-and-half, sugar, honey and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and add 4 whole basil leaves. Using the back of a large spoon or ladle, bruise the basil leaves against the bottom of the pot. Cover and let steep 15 minutes. 

Remove the basil leaves and discard, then whisk in the milk. Place the mixture in an ice-water bath or refrigerate until completely chilled. 

Slice the remaining 4 basil leaves in very thin strips. Whisk the lemon juice into the chilled sherbet base, add the sea salt and stir in the sliced basil. Taste for sweetness; adjust by adding an additional tablespoon or two of honey, if needed. Freeze the sherbet mixture in an ice-cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions. For optimal flavor and texture, freeze sherbet for a couple of hours before serving.

*Note: an ice cream maker is helpful but not necessary.  The mix can simply be frozen in the freezer in one large container or several smaller ones for individual servings.


The final result is even more fantastic than I expected.  The perfect treat at the end of a hot and sticky day. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love how you are having creative food adventures, Lovely! Trader Joe's rocks!

    ReplyDelete