Sunday, July 18, 2010

Freckleface Strawberry, pennies from heaven, and pizza margherita

Wednesday, July 7

It's an early morning getting to the EPA for Freckleface Strawberry, a new musical based on the children's book by Julianne Moore.  By the time I arrive at 8:15, the line is already long.  This is what a typical morning can look like for me, if the building hasn't been unlocked yet.  And don't even think about cutting in line.

The monitor for today's call, Lorenzo, is one of the nicest guys ever, and he's totally in it for the actors.  He gives us regular updates as the day moves on, but it starts to look less and less like non-Equity will be seen.  Elizabeth has me on the list for James and the Giant Peach auditions down at Pearl, but I opt to wait this one out.  If there's any chance for me to be seen, I don't want to miss it.  How cool would it be to be part of an original cast?  I'd be on the recording!  Gah!

The day is long, but at least our holding room is nice and cool.  I end up being the lone hold-out.  I am literally the last person in the room.  At 5:10, Lorenzo tells me all the slots are filled through 5:30, and the call is closed.  This is the hardest kind of day to have.  It's one thing to wait, but to wait and not be seen feels lousy.  

But the day isn't a total loss.  I get an unexpected call from Mom saying that I have a 300-dollar check from Whitworth.  Apparently, I'm being refunded for my Jan-term trip to Thailand.  Just when I was worrying about money again... God is amazing. :)

At home,  I put together my delicious pizza margherita.  Nothing beats the original I had on tour with the choir, but it's still good.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:




1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
8 Roma tomatoes, sliced
2 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crusts
8 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
4 ounces shredded Fontina cheese
10 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions:
Stir together olive oil, garlic, and salt; toss with tomatoes, and allow to stand for 15 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush each pizza crust with some of the tomato marinade.  Sprinkle the pizzas evenly with mozzarella and fontina cheeses.  Arrange tomatoes on top, then sprinkle with shredded basil, parmesan, and feta cheese. 

Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes.

*Note: the rounds of ciabatta bread sold at Trader Joe's work wonderfully as crusts for this recipe.  If you're not cooking for a big group, halve the recipe and make only one pizza.


As if a delicious pizza isn't enough, my night finishes off great with SYTYCD.  Without question, my favorite routine of the night--and of the season thus far--is Kent and Lauren's contemporary piece from Travis Wall. What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic, and this made me smile from ear to ear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment