Tuesday, August 10, 2010

4 for 4 at AEA

The last month has been a whirlwind of auditions, visiting friends and family, travel, and--above all--blessings. 

The second week of July was a real winner.  I went 4 for 4 with auditions in the AEA building--two for the Broadway production of The Phantom of the Opera; one for the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, Massachusetts; and one for the Virginia State Company.  I couldn't believe I was seen for all four calls, in the AEA building no less. :)  And to top it all off, the accompanist for the ART call didn't show up, so they were only seeing monologues that day.  Preferably classical ones, they said.  Lo and behold!  Just the night before,  I'd remembered an Antigone monologue I used in college.  I pulled it up for a little refreshing, not knowing I'd need it the very next day.  Here's how it went down.


The casting director in the room responds well to my reading of Ismene.  "I really liked your reading of that.  Could you do it for me again, this time, more from the loins?"  Oh, Diana!  If you could see me now!  So I bust out my Shakespeare muscles and give it my best.  And for once in my life, I'm glad I had to audition with a monologue instead of a song.  :)

The Phantom auditions--an EPA and then an ECC--are also fantastic.  I sing "No One Is Alone" at the EPA the first day.  Afterward, the casting director stops to talk with me.  "Really beautiful.  You have a nice, resonant sound."  I thank him, and we chat a little.  I tell him I just moved to the city, and he asks about Whitworth.  "It's small, but great," I tell him.  He definitely doesn't mind the small-school bit.  "I went to a small college, too," he reassures me.  Well, as casting director for Phantom, he seems to have done well for himself.  Besides, it's not where you've been that matters to the people behind the table; it's what you bring.  On the way out, he thanks me for auditioning.  "Keep showing up," he tells me.  "Oh, I will!"  


The next day, I sing for the same casting director and his associate at the ECC.  He remembers me.  "Back again?"  As if he expected me to skip out on this one!  "Well, you told me to keep showing up.  So I am."


Okay, so I may come off as a little over-eager, but I think that's to be expected from someone as new to all this as I am.  If nothing else, I'm sure the guy gets a nice chuckle out of kids like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment