Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mushing for Gold in the Sahara

Day 2 of post-grad life: VERY blah.  I'm still trying to make sense of my crazy over-crowded bedroom, and now that my summer job fell through, my primary task is to find work.  Stat.  I'm throwing out all my feelers: voice lessons, piano lessons, Blockbuster, babysitting, mowing lawns... pretty much anything that pays.

It's hard to feel accomplished when the rug is pulled out from under me and I'm left wondering what to do.  Yes, I have two bachelors degrees.  But they're in music and theatre.  In Yelm, that's like being an Iditarod musher whose task is to traverse the Sahara--the sled skills are cool, but totally unappreciated and not immediately useful.  Better luck in New York? ;)

The job hunt begins in the morning.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. LUCK! I hope you get a job that holds you over. I had to laugh when I read "still trying to make sense of my crazy over-crowded bedroom," because that is EXACTLY what I have been doing for the past three days. We should compare disaster photos. Does yours look like the abandoned storage closet of an eccentric globe-trotting librarian with a proclivity for strange hats? Mine does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Sahara metaphor! very apt :)
    Personally my room looks like a workout junkie took it over and filled it with an amazing number of shoes, books on running and a mile-high pile of "Runner's World"... oh wait that is what actually happened haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, substitute the "proclivity for strange hats" with "proclivity for mass amounts of dried rose petals" (from ALL my shows, some of them 10 years ago), and we're about in the same boat.

    Jess, are you morphing into a running machine? Because I've always wanted to do a 5k, but I've never had the guts to, especially without a buddy. Wanna do a run in September or October? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, it's ironic that you say that, my dad is a crazy running dude, but I've never liked it. He is trying to get me to run with him this summer, maybe I'll be ready for a 5k by October :) Lets keep it on the table!

    ReplyDelete