Saturday, September 25, 2010

Eyes to the sky

Two weeks ago, I stood at Ground Zero on the ninth anniversary of 9/11.  Tonight, I'm in the Hamptons after almost a week in Steamboat Springs with The Girls.  So much happens so fast.  I feel like before I know it, I'll be throwing a 30th birthday bash.


A few weeks ago, Ben and I showed up at the Booth Theatre just off Times Square to see "Next to Normal."  We entered in the lottery for $25 and didn't win.  But the perk to showing up for that was $40 "Lottery Loser" tickets.  I'd say it's pretty good to be a loser.  Marin Mazzie was phenomenal in the central role, as was her real-life husband, Jason Danieley (pictured), who played her husband in the show.  This show started near my childhood stomping grounds, at the Village Theatre in Issaquah, Washington, so I was proud to see it as a full-fledged Broadway production all the way across the country. 


While G&E and the kids were away in California earlier this month,  I got to apartment-sit.  Naturally, I took the opportunity to cook in their fabulous kitchen.  Dani King visited me in the middle of her romp through the East Coast, so I made her a brunch of French toast and coffee.  It was lovely having her here.  :)


And, of course I made use of some sad-looking bananas.  I'm proud to say they were near-perfect.  And I was even nice enough to save a couple for the kids to have as a treat when they got home.


Another of my kitchen adventures was probably one of the last meat dishes I'll eat for a while (after reading Skinny Bitch--more on that later).  Chicken fajitas are delish, especially when I'm craving something with a little kick of cayenne pepper.  Not that there isn't enough ethnic food in this city to keep me eating something different for at least ten years.  But I like being in the kitchen and doing it myself sometimes.  Plus, eating out is expensive.  And I'm trying to save for headshots.


And to add to the randomness of this blog post, here are a few miscellaneous photos of this city I love.

Sunset in TriBeCa


Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge



I'd love a house like this someday.  I saw it on the way home after dropping Laura off at JFK.




The view from my rooftop terrace on the 7th floor



New York is one of the most diverse cities in the world.  And despite the many differences among the people who call themselves New Yorkers, there is a common thread of patriotism I notice on a daily basis.  This neighborhood in Brooklyn was full of American flags, yellow ribbons, and "Support our Troops" bumper stickers.  My guess is that a lot of these families have daughters and sons in the military.  

Pray they make it home safe and healthy, in body and spirit.
The 9/11 Tribute in Light, Lower Manhattan



The light was visible from miles away and so bright that tens of thousands of migratory birds became disoriented and trapped in the lights.  Sad for the birds but a magnificent sight for everyone else.



No comments:

Post a Comment