Monday, March 21, 2011

My Fair...Frankenstein?

I was seen at an audition today.

And as cheese-ball as it may sound to a lot of you, in the words of my dear mother, "Praise the Lord!"

My alarm goes off at 6:15, and for a moment, I wonder why I do this on my day off.  I'm out the door by 7:30, and with the help of a couple audition buddies and a lot of text messages, I sign up for four auditions.  Three of them are planned: two Maine regional theatre seasons and a production of My Fair Lady.  The fourth is just by accident.  My friend, Alissa, puts me on the list of a non-Equity tour of the new Mel Brooks musical, Young Frankenstein.  Sure.  Why not, right?  

As luck would have it, it ends up being the only call of the four that actually see non-Equity actors today.  So on a whim, I gratefully sing my 16 bars of the first funny thing I could think of: "If I Were A Bell" from Guys and Dolls.  Who gives a rip whether it's "right" for the audition?  I realize I'm probably not wearing the right dress, either, because, frankly, I'd hoped to sing for My Fair Lady.  But what the heck!  I'm having a ball.  I actually get to sing for the first time in a long time.  The people behind the table are super nice and responsive.  And as I walk out, the nice guy at the door quips, "That was my favorite version of that number I've heard in a long time."  Terrific.  No invitation to come back for the dance call tomorrow, but you know what?  It's still a great end to the day.  Even if it has taken me nine hours and four subway trains to get here.

To everyone who's been praying for a little break in the waves, thanks.  I came up for air today.  Good to go for another two thousand miles. :)

Love you all. xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment